Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Did Ya Get the Memo?

Last I heard, every piece of scientific evidence points to the evolutionary process. From carbon dating to archeology digs to biology studies in the Galapagos, our findings all make a literal interpretation of the bible difficult. But even with the Scopes Trial 80 years behind us, there's a new push to teach creationism in schools. I'm all choked up, but I can't tell if I want to laugh or cry.
"Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), a Christian who draws on Discovery Institute material, drafted language accompanying the law that said students should be exposed to 'the full range of scientific views that exist.'

'Anyone who expresses anything other than the dominant worldview is shunned and booted from the academy,' Santorum said in an interview. 'My reading of the science is there's a legitimate debate. My feeling is let the debate be had.'"
Unable to either laugh or cry, I'll settle for rolling my eyes. This man is a senator? Yes, and apparently he's the same senator who likened homosexuality to beastiality, but I digress. Reading this article brought to mind Ken Ham, whose literal translation of Genisis we learned about in Cultural Anthropology. He has some *fascinating* ideas. Strangely, and unfortunately, I could not find his direct teachings online, only several critiques, but here's a choice quote:

"However, scientists do not dig up anything labeled with those ages. They only uncover dead dinosaurs (i.e., their bones), and their bones to not have labels attached telling how old they are. The idea of millions of years of evolution is just the evolutionists' story about the past. No scientist was there to see the dinosaurs live through this supposed dinosaur age. In fact, there is no proof whatsoever that the world and its fossil layers are millions of years old."

I don't feel I need to spend time countering his arguments... But to blatantly ignore scientific evidence, and call evolution as much a theory as creationism seems characteristic of what I find wrong with America today. I believe that we need to focus on evidence, facts, and -- heck I'll say it -- reality. With the labeling of old media as 'liberal', we have people choosing which facts to believe. Coupled with the inherent mistrust of science in our anti-intellectual craze, the country is a happily lead flock of sheep -- easily convinced by a bit of White House spin and propaganda of anything. Perhaps Machiavelli was right that appearance is more important that truth. I cannot think of a scarier prospect.

1 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger Chris said...

His method of reasoning is almost every bit as troubling as the conclusions he draws. To deny something based on the fact that there was not a direct observer is to deny the vast majority of science. The ability to make inferences and conclusions from other facts is the basis for all of modern science. No scientist has ever seen dark matter, a quark, or let alone an electron. Yet would Santorum conclude that we are not made up of the basic elements of matter? Would he conclude that the vast majority of the matter in the universe doesn't actually exist?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home